Can we all take a moment to appreciate the beautiful insanity of opening a new business right before the holidays? I have shopping to do! Cookies to bake! Gallons of tea to drink and dozens of knitting projects to finish!
The timing feels perfect. Some of you know that I had been thinking of this for a while. After taking a break from teaching public classes after having Grace, it began to feel like it was time to teach again. I was considering teaching for Julie at Underground, or possibly opening a small space in South Sioux or Ponca.
And then we heard the news- Underground is closing, which leaves a gap in the Sioux City community. We need a space to practice here in Morningside. And so- here we are.
A few things I want you guys to know as we open this space. This is a little long, but it shines a light on the goals and mission of the space, which I hope most of our students agree and align with.
1) The space is community based. We will be offering classes in the community space of Chiropractic First of Iowa. It is a calm, peaceful space that is shared with a tiny health shop run by Jaime, who I’m sure you’ll all get to know. While we’re in the same building, the community space is upstairs with it’s own parking lot and handicap accessible entrance.
2) We will offer a limited schedule in this space. The times have been chosen mindfully by each teacher to ensure they are able to commit to teaching and being there for you. We may add teachers or class times on in the future, but we’d like to build these core classes first.
3) Most of our teachers offer one-on-one yoga and other healing services as private sessions. This is an opportunity to find personalised recomendations to adapt yoga and holistic modalities to your body and needs. This is especially important if you have an autoimmune condition like MS or lupus, or a chronic illness like heart disease- knowing how to adapt the practice will help you tremendously.
4) All classes will have a health and wellness focus. This doesn’t mean every class will be the same, we’ll have a mix of strength based classes and gentle/recovery based classes. But every teacher on the schedule is dedicated to bringing healing into their classes as their primary goal.
5) Everyone is welcome. Period. You don’t have to be a certain age, gender, race, or ability level. You don’t have to be a hippy, an athlete, a professional, following a certain religion, an owner of crystals. You can be any of those things, or something else entirely. You get the point- this space is for EVERYONE. All types, all interests, all humans.
6) All yoga classes are priced simply at $10/class. No packages, no gimmicks. Class reservation are low-tech. Simply stop into the studio a few minutes before class to purchase your drop-in class. If you don’t want the hassle of paying each time you come, we offer 4 and 8 class punch cards which can be purchased prior to class, or by emailing [email protected] for an online invoice.
-Workshop and event scheduling can be done via the forms on each event page on this website, or by emailing [email protected]
-Private Sessions can be scheduled by emailing the teacher you would like to work with.
7) Almost every single teacher here has at one point or another been a student who needed yoga but could not afford it. If you have financial issues that prevent you from attending at the regular price, PLEASE email me to discuss options. We all want to help you find healing, and we’ve all been there before.
8) We will have a community focus. I’ll occasionally be using our social media platforms to share information about local groups doing good things. I’ll sometimes ask for a few Prajja teachers and students to join in and help do our own good things. Community service is at the heart of yoga, it’s at the heart of building a better future for all of us. If you have a group in need of helpers, if you personally need something, or if you know of someone in the community that could use some help- let us know. We won’t always be able to help, but we will always try to connect you with someone who can.
So that’s what I’ve got to share with you as we make this huge, amazing, beautiful announcement.
I hope to see every one of my former students, and meet even more. It is truly such an honor to walk beside each of you on your journey towards a healthier, happier life. Thank you, thank you, thank you.